Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Running a Business

Six Areas to Assess
by Henry McCabe-
A blog for businesses with 20 or fewer employees or for people planning on starting one.


In my October 10, 2013 post I suggested that in order to plan for growth, you need to assess where you are now in order to identify what you must change to make it happen. Assess the following areas of your business by answering a few questions about: Goals, Management, Marketing, Sales, Operations and Finance. In this I write about the first three. I'll address the last three in my next post.

1. Goals. Do I have a clear set of goals for the business and for what I want the business to do for me? Do I have both long term and short term plans for how I will achieve the goals? Am I lost because I do not know where I want to go and do not have a map for how I will get there? If the answer to the two first questions is no and to the last is yes, then one way to foster growth is to do some planning. Create personal and business goals, a strategic plan and a business plan. The plans would address the five topics that follow.

2. Management.  Have I defined my role as manager and the respective roles of each of my employees? Do I consistently act in my role as manager before I just do business? Do I conduct periodic evaluations of my strengths and weaknesses and those of my employees? Have I developed corrective action plans to overcome identified weaknesses, especially my own?  Do I have an organized way of recruiting, interviewing, background checking, and training new employees? Do I provide clear directions and work schedules for my employees? Is the business on auto pilot with nobody really managing it?  If the answer to any of the first six questions is no and to the last is yes, then  one way to foster growth is to become a professional manager. Create employment policies, job descriptions, performance evaluations, corrective action plans and most of all commit yourself to manage the business rather than let it manage you.


3. Marketing. Do I have a marketing plan for the business? Do I have an advertising plan for the business? Do I understand the difference between the two? Do I have specific measurable goals for each advertising campaign? Do I have a campaign for retaining my current customers? Do I collect data on the results of the campaigns and compare them to the goals? Are my promotional campaigns bringing in enough new customers? Am I sure my prices are not too high or too low? Are my sales shrinking, stagnant or growing so slowly that I barely notice? If the answer to any of the first eight questions is no and to the last is yes, then one way to foster growth is to develop a plan for bringing in new customers and retaining existing ones. Create a unique selling proposition,  brand identity, pricing policy, advertising plan and budget and the other elements o f a marketing plan.

Planning. The only thing we know for sure about any plan we make is that actual events will turn out to be different. We must not let the attempt to create a perfect plan get in the way of completing one at all. An imperfect plan is better than none at all.

Definition Quiz. What word describes everything  a business does?

Answer to last quiz: Unique Selling Proposition

No comments:

Post a Comment